Tuesday, September 27, 2011

If you don't dream big, there's no use of dreaming. If you don't have faith, there's nothing worth believing.

The time between mid-May through mid-September is quite possibly my favorite time of the year.  This has nothing to do with the fact that it is the summer season, fall is actually my favorite season.  It is not because my birthday falls between that timeframe either.  It is because of what has become known as Team Carter.  Back in 2007, I decided to run the Rochester Marathon and wanted to raise money for the Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey in my nephew Carter's name.  The RMH provided a home away from home for my family and made an unbearable time in their lives not only bearable, but memorable.  In the past 4 years we have grown from 3 people to a team of over 50 runners all coming together to run, raise money, and most importantly - celebrate miracles, family, and an amazing charity. 


If you want to learn more about our story, please visit - http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/Team-Carter/2011-rochester-marathon


This year was my first year not running the full marathon (only running a portion of the relay - 6.5 miles), so I was able to experience Team Carter from a different vantage point while cheering on my sister who joined the 26.2 mile club this year & all of the other amazing Team Carter runners.  I of course was also able to document this year with a few pictures!  While these might not be aesthetically the best pictures I have taken, they are most definitely some of the pictures that mean the most to me.


Well since I am in this picture, I obviously didn't take it, but I am so proud this photo!
Here is the 2011 Team Carter!


The coolest part of being a spectator this year was seeing all of the "Team Carter" shirts along the route cheering us on.  Here is one of my favorite cheerleaders! 

Over half of the marathon takes place on the canal path, while it can be lonely for the runners at times, no one can deny it's beauty.

Looking strong at mile 13 and again at mile 18.
 No Speed Limits when you are on Team Carter.

Here is the inspiration for the day.  He just happens to be a little nervous at this moment, waiting to cross the finish line with his Mom.

Mommy's biggest supporters - waiting at the finish line!

Here she comes down the home stretch - she finished in under 4 hours.  She's a machine.

Carter joins his mommy for the last few yards to the finish line. 
"We must walk consciously only part way toward our goal, and then leap in the dark to our success."

"My heroes are and were my parents. I can't see having anyone else as my heroes."  

 The kid who teaches me daily how to overcome obstacles & to persevere

Team Carter is a family affair - we were so lucky to have our entire family there this year!

Congrats to Team Carter relay team #3 for completing the marathon! So proud of you!

So excited that this family could "physically" be a part of Team Carter this year, hopefully a tradition that continues every year!

 Every year, we celebrate Team Carter & honor all the runners by hosting a party after the marathon.  
A big part of the party is the kids "marathon" - Ready, Set, Go!!

It's a fierce competition!

"Families are the compass that guide us.  They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter."
Carter - you are my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment