Saturday, October 2, 2010

Overwhelmed & Exhilarated

My first photography class was full of terminology, rules, and principles that quickly went right over my head.  I scribbled notes as fast as I could and hoped that I would somehow understand this foreign language by the time I had to apply this on our first fieldtrip. While I was incredibly overwhelmed, I felt equally exhilarated by the idea of honing my new found love.

Our first fieldtrip was to Mount Hope Cemetery.  Our only task was to practice the concepts we learned in class that week and to get comfortable with our cameras.  We were to shoot in manual and play with different apertures, shutter speeds, etc.  Here is a glimpse of the end results.
This is my favorite picture from the day - there was something that drew me to this fence. The uniqueness of the fence takes what would be overall ordinary scenery and creates a striking picture.
I stumbled down a path at the cemetery and found gravestones that were hidden amongst trees and overgrown shrubs hidden away from the rest of the world.
I simply thought this Celtic cross was beautiful and wanted to capture it in as much detail as I could.
This tree and the area surrounding it were beautiful - and I struggled to be able to capture it and all its elements in a light and frame that would do it justice.  This is the best that I got.

Overall - the day was not only a great learning experience, but I had a great time experimenting.  It only solidified in my head how much I thoroughly enjoy my new hobby.

2 comments:

  1. Hi I'm reading your blog! <3 Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I'm so glad you are enjoying your photography class and your camera! I wish I had the time to take a class again with my new camera too. But I will be checking in on you here...I love looking at other people's pictures! The one with the fence is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete